Indian Creek Crack Climbing Camp
Get personalized instruction to take your crack climbing to the next level!
Indian Creek Crack Climbing Camp overview
This 3 day and 2-night Indian Creek Crack Climbing Camp is guaranteed to be an unforgettable experience. Under the supervision of rock guides local to the desert Southwest, you will refine your crack climbing technique at the world-class climbing location, Indian Creek.
“The Creek” as it’s affectionately known, is one of the best training grounds for learning to crack climb and refine your traditional lead climbing technique in the world. Boasting an endless amount of splitter desert cracks in a backdrop straight out of National Geographic, The Creek is sure to steal your heart. Every year during the fall and spring we migrate to Indian Creek to send the perfect sandstone walls and desert towers with our guests and on personal trips. It is truly one of our favorite places to climb.
Our Indian Creek Crack Climbing camp brings a community of people from all climbing abilities together for an immersive 3 days and 2 nights of desert climbing baptism. This program is designed to teach you proper climbing techniques and work with you on an individual level to progress beyond your current ability.
The days are full of climbing and coaching while the evenings are reserved for social time while our dedicated team prepares dinner under a sky littered with stars. After 3 days of this routine you will leave a more confident crack climber, scouring your calendar for a free weekend to come back and put what you learned to use.
You will be meeting your instructors at their desired location for climbing in the morning at 8:00 a.m. The first day will consist of a basic orientation on what is to come and will quickly transition to supervised climbing for the remainder of the day. Our instructors will work with you to refresh your skills and begin coaching you on how to improve your technique. This day will allow you to meet the crew you will be spending three days with and find a rhythm to your own style of climbing. We will wrap up the day by traveling to our reserved group campsite. That evening’s dinner will be prepared by the instructor team while you set up your tents and get comfortable. During dinner, we will chat more about people’s goals for the following days and develop a plan for the next morning. Sleeping under the stars, you’re guaranteed to get a good night’s rest.
- Breakfast and coffee are served by our team to make sure you are fueled for the day. The SJE staff will coordinate cars to drive to our respective crags for the day to minimize our impact on the already limited parking opportunities. Once at the crag you will continue to build upon the previous days lessons. This is a day to push yourselves more and begin lead climbing if you are feeling up to it. Throughout the day we will be demonstrating and coaching you individually to give you quality feedback on how to improve based on the goals we defined the day before. Lunch will be served in the shade and will be followed by more climbing in the late afternoon and evening. After wrapping up at the crag we will head back to camp for another gourmet meal and free time around the campfire.
This is our final day and we begin with an early breakfast followed by packing up camp. We will leave camp in all our personal cars and re-group at a large parking area where we will once again get into our carpool groups and roll to our last climbing crag. This is our final day to climb hard and take falls so leave it all in Indian Creek and try to achieve your climbing goals. The sandstone is calling your name….send it!
Where You Will Stay
Indian Creek is a world-class climbing destination for good reason. Not only does the surrounding area boast an endless amount of splitter desert cracks but the canyon is framed with beautiful red wingate sandstone. As a result of the draw to this world class climbing, campgrounds can fill up with eager climbers ready to test there mettle on some of the deserts most iconic test- pieces. To be sure we have a good base camp to stage our climbing camp out of, San Juan Expeditions reserves a group spot at the classic Superbowl Group Site. Outfitted with shade structures, tables, toilets, fire rings, and more the campsite is an ideal spot to start and finish our long days on the wall.
What is Included in the cost?
– Three days with an AMGA certified & trained guide
– Federal land usage surcharge (USFS/BLM)
– Climbing Equipment (if you need it)
– Campsite reservations
– Breakfast & dinner
– Guide gratuity
– Personal clothing/gear
– Camping equipment
– Guide Book (interested in buying “Creek Freak”? Purchase online with our partnered retailer, Cripple Creek Backcountry).
Anyone participating in our programs must fill out a waiver beforehand. If you are under 18, please have your parent/guardian complete.
Please familiarize yourself with our Booking & Cancellation Policies.
Climbers should be in good physical condition, capable of hiking steep trails with heavy packs to the base of the climbing wall.